I am originally from Memphis, TN; however, I have lived in Knoxville the past three years studying Psychology and Elementary Education at UT. This spring I will graduate with a BA in Psychology and begin working towards attaining my MS in Elementary Teaching. I am looking forward to beginning my internship in the fall at an Urban Multicultural in Knox County. I have always wanted to be a teacher; however, two summers ago while simultaneously working at St. Mary's Pursuits and volunteering at Refugee Empowerment Program, I became interested in teaching in an Urban Multicultural setting. These camps were ten minutes down the road from each other; yet, the gap between each group's opportunity for success was vast. I noticed a huge discrepancy between the girls at St. Mary's who had means to an excellent education and the refugee children at REP who barely spoke English. As a teacher, I want to close this gap by ensuring that students in Urban and Multicultural schools receive a quality education.
I am thankful for the opportunity to learn how to use new technology tools, such as wikis, blogs, and iMovie. Although I have a general understanding of these tools, I am by no means an expert. Knowing how to include technology in the classroom is not only necessary to be an effective teacher, but also provides alternate ways of presenting material to students. Using technology allows the teacher to better relate to students and increases student interaction. By the end of this course, I anticipate having a greater understanding of how to integrate technology in an elementary classroom. Through this blog, I will document and reflect on how I can use the tools discussed in class in my classroom.
No comments:
Post a Comment