This was my first experience with WebQuests; however, after completing a WebQuest on WebQuests, I was able to familiarize myself with the process and examine several samples. A WebQuest is an inquiry-based activity in which students work in groups to acquire and interact with new information via the web.
In order to introduce WebQuests, Dr. O'bannon shared this video, which explained the purpose of WebQuests and presented the basic criteria of WebQuests. By completing the WebQuest about WebQuests, I gained a greater understanding of their purpose. Not only did I experience an actual WebQuest, but I also observed successful and poor examples. In order for a WebQuest to be effective, it must fulfill the four following criteria: involve group work, successfully integrate technology, demand a higher level of thinking, and be efficient.
For an example of an excellent WebQuest that sufficiently meets all of the criteria click here. I would consider incorporating this WebQuest in a classroom unit on the Underground Railroad because the information was factually accurate, the website design was aesthetically pleasing and easily manageable, the process incorporated group work to make learning more meaningful, and the project was efficient.
I would consider utilizing WebQuests in a third through sixth grade classroom. Additionally, I think they would be most beneficial for a science or social studies lesson. I look forward to further expanding my knowledge of WebQuests by creating my own for use in a lesson plan.

No comments:
Post a Comment