Having just learned about WebQuests, I was initially somewhat confused about the difference between a WebQuest and an Inquiry based activity. However, after participating in a simulation of an Inquiry based activity, I learned that the purpose of an inquiry based activity is for students to engage in problem-solving and critical thinking skills by investigating questions after teacher instruction. Similar to an inquiry based activity, a WebQuest is inquiry oriented; however, during a WebQuest, students obtain information solely from resources on the internet.
One thing I learned about inquiry based activities, is that students gather information on their own by visiting websites evaluated by the teacher. With a partner, I completed the Rockstar Trading Card activity. Given explicit instructions and recommended websites, we chose a gemstone, answered questions, and posted our research on a wiki.
I really enjoyed creating my own inquiry based activity because it helped me apply my knowledge of inquiry based activities to something I could use in my future classroom. I chose to design an inquiry based activity for a fourth grade science lesson on the phases of the moon. This activity was great practice for me to design a lesson that aligns with the state standards.

First, I had students watch a short video explaining the phases of the moon. Then, I listed a link to an excellent interactive website that had students virtually visit the phases of the moon and practice labeling each phase. I also posted another link to an informational site, appropriate for fourth graders, that provided an explanation of the phases and showed the phases of the current month, so students could apply the knowledge to the real world. Finally, I had students answer five questions that they knew the answers to based on the research they completed. To view my inquiry based activity on the phases of the moon, please visit my
website.
I will definitely use this tool in my future classroom. I think it can be easily adapted for any grade level or any achievement level. Additionally, because the activity builds self-directed skills, students will be more likely to retain information after researching because it will be more meaningful to them.
No comments:
Post a Comment